Thursday, June 07, 2007

Dicern Your Food

I primarily shop in one aisle of the supermarket, fresh produce and meat. My local Jewel consists of about 90% processed food and 10% fresh food. I'm not on a diet nor do I want to be, but I have decided to become more food conscience. One couple at our young marrieds class at church reminisced about how they knew the honeymoon was over when 3 months in they were 20 pounds heavier and realized its time to cut back on the three course gourmet meals every night.

Every now and again my Time mag has an article worth reading. What the World Eats was fascinating, see the pictorial here. The photo essay pictures 16 families from around the world and what they eat. The essay outlines how much each family spends weekly on food. Not surprisingly, an African family only spend $1.50 a week for a food budget. A German family came out on top spending over $500 a week. The most appealing layouts to me where Japanese and Mexican food diets. Japanese of course for the fresh fish and sushi, although Wyatt and I found ourselves worn out on sushi after 2 weeks in Japan. I still cannot eat Udon since getting back. Mexico seems to sport the most fresh veggies and fruits and I am of late a chili fanatic.

The article in Time had some interesting observations. I will relay a few for you. Tomatoes didn't come to Italy until Columbus brought them back from US. Japan got chopsticks from China and tempura from Portugul. Food's purpose is to keep us alive, but something we rarely think about. Africa is one place where this reality can be see. Meat is a luxury in many areas and last year the starvation in Niger spoke to the great need for the basic necessities for this continent.

In closing I will plug an upcoming food movie I am soo excited to see, Ratatouille! From my favorite movie company, Pixar, makers of Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc, comes this animated feature of a mouse in Paris with a knack for the culinary arts. France, food, and furry animals, sounds like a winner to me.

Let me know which country food appeals to you and why.

Thought for the day: Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie. ~Jim Davis

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just saw Ratatouille last night--special viewing!! It was great! I highly recommend it--I think you'll really enjoy it :)

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner