Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Chicken and Noodle

Some things are just great combinations, like chicken and noodles, cookies and milk, Tracy and Wyatt. I am currently reading The Hidden Art of Homemaking by Edith Schaeffer, which was recommended to me by Noel Piper. It is a lovely book that encourages us to be creative as we are made in the image of God, the ultimate creator. Creativity can flow in many areas of everyday life from music to decorating to cooking.

Cooking is something I love to experiment with as you have seen from other posts. Last night I made steak tacos and changed our normal flour tortillas and crispy corn shells out for fresh soft corn tortillas. It made a world of difference, so I highly recommend trying it. We used the Migas brand made in Chicago. Also add a homemade salsa of tomato, cilantro, and lime and queso fresco (fancy cheese aisle) to give it a very fresh taste.

Wyatt and I started having a tea time where we sometimes have a devotional, podcast, or just discuss the day. To switch things up, I made homemade chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies. This was courtesy of the Toll House package directions, since it was a whim inspired by the Food and Wine magazine I was reading at the moment. As always I am trying to convert Wyatt from Starbucks to coffee at home, so we bought Intelligensia espresso beans and Ghirardelli mocha powder and I whipped up a Chocolate Mocha with my espresso machine. The satisfaction of creating things from nearly scratch is definitely worth the time.

The same evening as the mocha, I introduced Wyatt to the wonderful world of soap carving. Astonishingly, he had never heard of such a thing. I would consider this a lost art, as it has been buried in my repertoire for many years. We both opted to carve turtles at my suggestion. Toothpicks make the perfect tool for chiseling. I dug out my bag of hotel soap and we each selected our medium. These were pretty quick pieces, so look for more developed ones in future blogs.

Thought for the Day: The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas.

2 comments:

Wyatt said...

Your posts are amazing, how do you get so many great ideas? I'm so inspired after reading your blog! Every entry is cool.

Unknown said...

I definitely like the hats. Very cool. The red is definitely good for Wyatt.

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner