Thursday, August 30, 2007

No Intelligence Allowed

I had the pleasure of meeting Ben Stein a few years back and was delighted to hear he was venturing into documentary film making. I was even more excited to hear he would be taking on science and essentially the problems I addressed in my last blog.

Ben Stein has a long list of credentials including lawyer, comedian, actor, political speech writer, economist, and professor. I'm not a Gore hater (hey, I have a Gore '08 sticker on the fridge), but if I have to hear him narrate one more documentary I just might have to take that sticker down. So it is incredibly refreshing to hear an intelligent, funny and wonderfully gifted voice will be addressing a very poignant topic that needs to be revealed.

Essentially this film looks like it is going to expose the discrimination against many scientist who bring up any questions against Darwinism. Stein explains this is a matter of freedom stating Freedom is not conferred by the state: as our founders said, and as Martin Luther King repeated, freedom is God-given. A huge part of this freedom is freedom of inquiry. This includes the ability to inquire whether a higher power, a being greater than man, is involved with how the universe operates. This has always been basic to science. ALWAYS. Ben Stein is bringing to light the issue of how science is defined and ultimately practiced.

I remember back to my days of evolutionary biology in college where my professors frequently mocked the idea of God and that it had no place in the realm of science. You don't have to go into a science classroom these days because leading atheists Dawkins and Hitchens are bringing this message to you by way of the Best Sellers list and prime time TV.

Additionally, Ben Stein is Jewish, so I hope this film will open the eyes of some Americans who immediately dismiss any critiques of who they perceive to be Right Wing Christian wing nuts. I'm looking forward to a full review when the movie comes out. I hope you will be encouraged to check it out. Watch the trailer here.

Thought for the day: If science can't even disprove the existence of unicorns, how can it disprove the existence of God?


No comments:

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner