Friday, July 17, 2009

I Cancelled Our Netflix Subscription Today

A Land Rover nearly side swiped me today after doing a ridiculous U-turn on a busy road. Wyatt told me to honk at people so they realize that they are doing something wrong. So I honked and the teenage boy driving the vehicle flicked me off and threw a piece of gum out of his sun roof onto my car.

The more fruit I see from wealth the less I desire it. I don't want to make decisions now that will have my daughter cruising carelessly in a BMW and treating people disrespectfully. I don't want to take a step down the road that gives us a mortgage payment indenturing us to a company. I don't want to selfishly pile up money in a 401k to have it drop 50% in one year.

I thank God for a renewal of my Spirit. For reminding me His Word should be directing my living from how I spend my time to how I educate my children to how I spend my money. I was listening to a talk on Sarah Edwards given by Noel Piper today that you can find here. She was the wife of Jonathan Edwards, a great Puritan preacher and theologian to say the least. I am humbled by her example of raising children and managing a household.

As a result of these things, I decided to cancel our Netflix subscription. Ten dollars a month certainly isnt breaking the bank and I do enjoy foreign film and documentaries...but I don't have the time for it. Looking forward to more transformation by the Word.

No comments:

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner