Monday, September 18, 2006

Risk, Reflect, and Reach Beyond Today

Based on a study done of 50 people over the age of 95 who were asked what they would do differently if they had life to live over again. They responded by focusing on the following:

a. They would risk more.
b. They would reflect more.
c. They would do more things that would live on after they were dead.

I first heard a podcast by one of my favorite sociologist and evangelist Tony Campolo three years ago. The three points stuck with me and I have often returned to listen to the message If I had to Do it Over Again (Listen Now!).

Lately I have been reflecting a lot on the entirety of my life and the last year of my life, which usually happens at the New Year but I guess I am getting an early start this year. Two trips back to the place where I was born this summer really hit me with how much I have been influenced by the circumstances I have been in over time.

And yet there was a point in my life where things changed drastically and circumstances became secondary. That point in time happened when I started reflecting on the life of Jesus. Its still unbelievable and amazing to think about how transforming knowing Jesus can be.

Risk is definitely something the world tries to minimize, just look at what the US is fixated on...minimizing the risk of a terror attack, maximizing its investments while minimizing the risk of loss, social security, homeland security...SECURITY! We are conditioned by society to risk as little as possible. But why shouldn't we Boldly Go Where No One has Gone Before! Its all going to be over in a flash and you don't want to sit there at 95 and think what might have been.

One of these days you're going to die, they're going to throw dirt in your face, and they are going to go back to the church and eat potato salad. Are you living for a title or for a testimony? Pharaoh had a title, but Moses had a testimony. King Nebecanezer had a title, but Daniel had a testimony. Queen Jezebel had a title, but Elijah had a testimony. King Herod had a title, but John the Baptist had a testimony. Pontius Pilate had a title, but my Jesus had a testimony!

I think this quote I've often heard sums it up best: Only one life will soon be passed, only what's done for Christ will last.

Thought for the Day: Fix your eyes on Jesus.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Luke 12:4-5 "I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. 5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner