Friday, September 08, 2006

Untitled: A Short Story from my Youth

Life has been busy, so I had to take a break from podcasts this week for the most part. So on a completely random note, I have decided to post a short story I dug up last time I was home.

We always had to do creative writing in middle school and then have our peers review it. I would usually wake up in the middle of the night and write, so common themes would appear in my stories. Maybe you can get a glimpse into my absurd adolescent mind.

Next week, I am packing up my things and will be blogging at you from Sin City. Look for a travelog and the most ridiculous picture of the week.

I stared at the incandescent stars on my ceiling as they slowly faded into the darkness. I turned my head slightly so I could see my digital clock, squinting my eyes to focus in on the red numbers. It read eleven o'clock. I couldn't believe it was still this early. It seemed as though a million ideas had gone in and out of my head in the last five minutes. I knew what was bothering me. The choices facing me were driving me crazy. If I made the wrong decision about one simple thing, it could change my life indefinitely. The thing that troubled me most was the fact that I had no idea about my future, where I was going, or what I was going to become. This led to my distress and sleeplessness.

At that moment, a tiny beam of light struck the wall across from my bed. Being in the state of mind I was in, it didn't startle me at all. I am usually frightened by anything out of the ordinary that occurs at night because I feel helpless in the dark. But this ray of light drew me to its point of origin, the window. My hand drew open the shade of the window to reveal a figure on the ground. As I stared at this figure, I felt the need to go outside.

I slipped on my old tennis shoes lying by the door to my room and exited into the hallway. The kitchen was pitch black except for the green numbers on the microwave. My foot stepped on the carpet which indicated I left the linoleum floor of the kitchen and entered the living room. I groped my way down the stairs on my hands and knees to assure myself I would not fall. My hand clutched the doorknob to the back door and turned it. The sole of my shoe came down on the cold cement floor of the garage. I felt a light breeze of night air, so I knew the garage door was open. I took a deep breath as I opened the final door before entering my backyard. One look at the figure to assure me it was real was all I needed. I turned and ran.

My feet kept going as I headed down my street. I took a left at the corner and kept on going. My breath seemed everlasting as I passed house and house. The tall trees up ahead indicated I was coming upon the creek. Stride after stride I made it up the hill next to the creek. At the top of the hill I stopped abruptly. I spread my arms and fell backwards knowing the hill would catch me. I laid in the grass and stared up at the stars.

My eyes opened and I felt a great peacefulness. My mind was free from all worries. I looked at my digital clock to find it was time for another day.

Intepretations are welcome, leave a comment!

Thought for the day:
You wouldn't worry what people think about you, if you realized how seldom they do.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was the best story i've ever heard in my entire life!

Here's a love letter I wrote in school.

Anonymous said...

viva las vegas! tell elvis hello

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner