Thursday, September 27, 2007

Food 911

Since I will not be cooking for the next week, I thought it would be a good time to post on food. This time of year the farmers market is in full bloom. The prices this year have been better than the year past, which of course makes me happy.

My favorites market items are heirloom tomatoes-especially the green zebra, peppers galore-serrano, poblano, jalepeno, bell, onions-sweet and vidalia, and eggplant. I just started cooking with eggplant and I am addicted.

I am trying to perfect roasted chicken, so far putting herbed butter under the skin has worked bet. I tried cream cheese as one recipe suggested, but it was too overpowering for my taste. A bed of cous cous is perfect to pick up all the jus from the roast. Roast onions and peppers are an easy and delicious accompaniment.

I will definitely miss the homegrown tomatoes as they are perfection dressed with just a little salt and pepper. The hydroponic or "vine ripened" tomatoes we have to live with at the grocery need a lot of doctoring.

I have been roasting eggplant lightly brushed with olive oil frequently. To give the veggie some taste I have been make some chimmi churri like sauces with cilantro, garlic, peppers to top. I made a stuffed Italian eggplant the other day which was an interesting and easy dish.

If I haven't mentioned before, I love to use Foodnetwork's website to search for recipes. The search engine is great and I find I start to like certain cooks recipes better. Tyler Florence is one of my favorites at the moment. I'm not big on the 30 minute meal recipes, but I do love Rachel's travel tips for food.

Since it is Oktoberfest season, I will end with German fare. We made a stop last weekend in the Amanas, which I blogged on in my Iowa travels. We had a nice family style German meal with plenty of Schnitzel with my parents and grandma for her 84th birthday. We make brats at home every now and then with German potato salad and artichoke salad. Sides of sauerkraut, mustard, and horseradish are a must!


Thought for the day: You can never have enough garlic. With enough garlic, you can eat The New York Times.

No comments:

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner