Friday, May 30, 2008

For the Love of God

If you are a high school graduate, there is a 33% chance you will never read another book for the rest of your life. If you are a college graduate that number goes up to 42%. However, it is highly likely you spent 28 hours of your week watching TV.

Conservatively speaking, you could finish an average book in 6 hours. If you read 15 minutes a day you could finish 20 books a year. We do not own a TV and I haven't turned one on in my home for a year. So I should easily have met this mark, but I am writing this blog for myself because I did not read 20 books last year.

I have turned into an accountant of late. We have scrapped Quicken and track where our dollars and cents go with Excel spreadsheets and charts. Now I am moving on to my time. Wyatt has been disciplined in getting up early and reminded me that by pulling myself out of bed 1 hour earlier would result in 30 more 12 hour days a year.

After seeing my abundance of time, I realized I lack discipline. On a Crown Financial podcast recently a successful business women shared that she has a list of ten things she must do no matter what she feels like. Case in point 20 minutes of exercise a day, which would be on my list if I had one.

Discipline naturally flows into accountability. So I have given Wyatt license to use whatever means necessary to get me out of bed earlier in the morning. He will ask me if I ran today and what did I read. We both do a Bible reading plan that goes through the Old Testament once and new Testament twice a year. To enhance this, we got D.A. Carson's commentary on the plan entitled For the Love of God Vol I&II. We read the 2 page commentary aloud together which has incredible insight and sets aside time for us to discuss what we read that day.

A site of free audiobooks was recently recommended to me called LibriVox. It is quite extensive and the quality it good. I am working my way through G.K. Chesterton's Orthodoxy currently~just a mere 6 hours and 1 book under my belt.

Thought for the day: Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. ~C.S. Lewis

No comments:

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner