Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Meat!

I applied to host a Meat! Party for Hilshire Farms today and it got me thinking about my favorite food group. I subscribe to many Foodie RSS feeds and they often feature Vegan and healthy recipes without meat which are rather tempting, but something just can't replace a crab leg that is larger than your own arm.

I came home from a late night on the new job to find my husband had purchased a 1 lb. Colossal Crab leg. I held it up to my arm and indeed it was longer and close to being meatier. Where in Russia they find these things is beyond me. I was up for a light meal (ha!) so I whipped up an orzo, tomato, and super duper king crab pasta. Amazingly the larger the crab, the sweater the meat.

As much as I bag on Jewel, it does feature some reasonable and unique cuts of meat. Over the holidays they had a really cheap prime rib roast at 2 lbs that I whipped into a nice and delicious meal with garlic mashed potatoes and roast asparagus. This recipe is easy, rub is a lil' horseradish or garlic salt and roast at 325 for 1 hr/lb.

We honeymooned in Austin, TX, which still gets questions like is your family around there? (What!?!) No, actually we like to experience the culture of America in its various facets. BBQ is high on the list of Americana and Stubb's BBQ (Austin local restaurant) takes the cake. Thankfully, many grocers including Jewel and Meijer carry this delicacy in your specialty sauce section! I vote for the Original sauce which has more vinegar, but the Mesquite comes a close second (although seems to burn easier for the higher sugar content). 1.5 hours at 325 F for a rack and you are set for some succulent, tender better than Carson's in Chicago ribs!

Thought for the Day: If God did not intend for us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat? John Cleese

2 comments:

Wyatt said...

I can't believe that crab leg was bigger than your arm!

Unknown said...

Hi:

My name is William and I am CEO of the blog, www.Joboja.Blogspot.com . I look at your website regularly and I think it is good. In fact I have bookmarked it. I would like to partner and trade links with you. I am based in Chicago and I receive traffic locally as well as from all over the world. I hope to hear back from you soon and if you have any questions please let me know. If you decide to trade links with us please send back your web address and how you would like your site's name to be listed. Until then have a great day.

Best Regards,
William Parker
CEO, Joboja
jobojablogspot@gmail.com
(773) 835-0188

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner