Friday, August 18, 2006

Dudes and Wingnuts

A dude is definitely a guy, but I'm not sure about wingnuts. I think it is reference to the fringe, slightly crazy people who sometimes sit in the wings of churches? These are terms frequently used by one of my new favorite podcasting preachers, Mark Driscoll. I first learned about Mark Driscoll a few months ago from John Piper's vodcast for the upcoming Desiring God Conference (which I am super excited about attending in September! You should go too The Supremacy of Christ.)

Needless to say, anyone John Piper endorses, I am going to check out. So I started listening to Mark Driscoll's podcast Mar's Hill Church: Everything Audio (Subscribe Now!), and after an hour sermon I was hooked. Twenty two hours later and I am still listening. Wow there is so much I could say about Mark Driscoll, but the most important thing is that he preaches the Word.

In an interview, Mark Driscoll said he gets his theology from Martin Luther and his preaching style from Chris Rock (or some other comedian). He is very frank, funny, and preaches for an hour (most sermons are typically 20-30 I think). I promise you won't be bored. An excerpt from his sermon Single Like Jesus:

Some of you dudes need to be honest and say I just don't think I'm going to make it. You need to grow up, get a job, get a Bible, get a gal, get to the alter, and get 'er done.

Mars Hill Church started about 10 years ago and has grown from 2 to 5000 members in a city that is near and dear to my heart, Seattle. It is amazing to see God working in one of the most unchurched cities in the US.

This podcast has excellent music as well, so definitely check out the songs too (especially Mars Hill Acoustic Band)! Right now, the sermon series is I Corinthians "Christian's Gone Wild" and covers singleness, divorce and remarriage, idolatry, sex, suffering, humility, wisdom, church discipline, spiritual gifts, and much more.

I wanted to give an introduction to the podcast in this blog, but I will hopefully get a chance to comment on specific podcasts in the future and highlight some of my favorites.

Thought for the day: Be Bold

No comments:

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner