Monday, August 21, 2006

If you podcast it, they will listen.

I'm going to make him a podcast he can't refuse. Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful podcast. Show me the podcast. Keep your friends close, but your podcasts closer. You're going to need a bigger podcast. Carpe diem, sieze the podcast, boys. A podcast, shaken, not stirred. I feel the need, the need for podcasts. You can't handle the podcast. Podcast.

If you can correctly identify the word podcast is replacing in these quotes, chances are you like movies. And if you can correctly identify all the movies in these quotes, you are probably a movie aficianado. (If you can do either of these, leave a comment with the correct answers because I will be impressed.)

If either of the above describes you, I am going to go out on a limb and recommend the best film podcast out there: Filmspotting (Listen Now!). The hosts of this show are based in Chicago and one is originally from Iowa, so I definitely appreciate the tidbits they throw in about these areas in the podcast. They have a killer format and offer a weekly podcast reviewing the latest movies and usually an older movie, massacre theather, listener feedback, and a top 5 movies in a genre.

Film does offer entertainment, but I would argue even more than that it is art. Every film has a point of view and is saying something about the world. Haha, well now I am just trying to justify why I like to watch movies, but this podcast definitely goes far beyond the blockbusters and touches on some material that is really poignant and will cause you to think.

A recent recommendation by Filmspotting that I wouldn't have seen otherwise is: Brick. This indy film was recently released to DVD and is very creative. It is a modern day noir mystery set in a high school with a lead actor who I always enjoy watching Joseph Gordon Levitt. With a budget of 500,000 and a first time director, this film is incredibly done and worth checking out.

My taste tends to be in the foreign film and documentary/special interest genres, so if you enjoy those and want some recommendations (or have some for me), I would be happy to help. A few I have recently seen: Spellbound (documentary on the National Spelling Bee), Seducing Dr. Lewis (French Canadian film on a very small town trying to lure a doctor to the town, so they can get a factory.)

Since I am on the topic of movies, I also wanted to note that the Mars Hill Church: Everything Audio podcast I recommended last week also has a section called "Film and Theology". They analyze movies and note many Christian themes in them.

I already paid homage to Filmspotting's massacre theater in my intro, so I will close with a tribute to their Top 5 with Top 5 Reasons you Should Listen to the Podcast.

5. All the cool kids are doing it.
4. They blow Ebert and Ropert out of the water.
3. Movies are expensive and you should find out if they are worth your 10 bucks!
2. They might recommend an obscure masterpiece movie you wouldn't have seen otherwise.
1. It's free.

Thought for the day: Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

2 comments:

Haven of Bliss said...

I like that the number one reasons is that its free! And God said, "Let there be podcasts!" and there was podcasts.

Anonymous said...

You have one of the best blogs :) I really like it! Tyson?! Who knew? That's great!

Let's see, I can fill in the blanks for just about all of them, but id'ing the movies is tougher: Godfather; Casablanca; Jerry Maguire; Godfather II (looked this one up, though I'd heard it before, since I haven't seen any of the Godfathers[!]); Ah--Jaws! (again, cheated); Hm, got Carpe Diem wrong; James Bond, Top Gun, A Few Good Men, the last one, could be . . . Citizen Kane?

Is there a way to "subscribe" to your blog, e.g. RSS? I don't know how these things work *embarrassed*

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner